Monday, April 15, 2013

Cold Hard Facts about the Ouya

On Ouyaforum.com a great editorial was written entitled "The Day The Clown Cried."  It was a recap of the Ouya phenomena and the lack of what appears as backers support from Ouya.  I encourage alll of you to read it.  In the article the hard facts are:
Here are some hard facts:

1. Ouya's official release date into the public is June 4th

2. Ouya has struck deals to be carried at AmazonTarget, and Gamestop

3. Ouya fully intends on releasing their console on a mobile phone schedule (~ yearly)

4. Ouya has never given their Kickstarter backers a firm shipping


The author concludes that "Do you really think March 28th snuck up and bit them on the ass? Please. They are purposely not shipping them to us because these units are slated for their new customers: moms and dads at Target; kids at GameStop; the online shopping masses who log on to Amazon. Do the math. There are roughly 2,000 Targets in North America alone, and 6,600 GameStops. Plans to put 3 in every store June 4th would tally up to over 25,000. I have a feeling the targeted number is much higher. And that's not factoring in Amazon's quota, either. "

The responses to this article were:
"I am so dissapointed by the lack of communication by ouya. I could not care less that I'll get my ouya 3 months late. What is clear to me is that the "ouya company" does not give a hoot about the backers. I thought we were going to be a shining example of crowdfunding...standing up to the evil corporate giants who control the game industry....to build a new gaming community without having to spend 3 months worth of pocketmoney on a game. (Based upon what my kids get and the cost of a typical a+ type game 60€.) Another illusion the poorer I'll get my sense of community elsewhere."

"I got an email this morning stating my Ouya was now at the distribution center and I should have it in 2 weeks.
Looks like the kickstarter backers get the luxury of ground shipping "

"Given the levels of frustration from backers I find it difficult to comprehend their desire to undermine their most enthusiastic supporters. It's a shame, I have a bitter taste in my mouth regarding this kickstarter experience which is turning me off of OUYA as a company and product. It's a shame, I was so excited about them but they managed to change my mind"

The next question is "will Ouya survive the backer backlash?"  Did Ouya destroy itself?



No comments:

Post a Comment